Friday, March 1, 2024

Selected Works, Barton Smock


birthplace 8

My nose puts blood on a baseball. A bicycle,
 halfway through my brother, disappears. Keep 
moving, says distance. To the lamb in my 
deadest eye.





birthplace 9

God learns about bones for three days in a 
treehouse that we pretend is on fire. Violence 
tells our bodies where we are. I can’t love our 
children more than once.





birthplace 10

The basement animals are taking too long to
 name. Brother is throwing packs of cigarettes
into a baby pool that sister has recently filled. 
The hose is dead, still on, clothing an angel. 
Sister wants her hand to be smaller and promises 
god every anthill in hell. The animals aren’t many.




birthplace 65

How lividly agony languishes in the loud mercy of 
the lived-in lover. I want to say there are songs 
like this and I want to say hosanna. The sick
 vanished dreadful babies take pictures of how 
they’ve been portrayed and they let us call it 
heaven this place that means the pain is 
different here. I am with my father and together 
we name an animal. Mom remember.  




AWAY

We live 
as if god
could ever
be homesick.

When I’m not looking, my body

ah
fuck.

No golden 
melancholy
for the surgeon
with crushed
hands.

Death 
needs dying
to be real.





Barton Smock lives in Columbus, Ohio. Most of his work is self-published. His newest non self-published work is 'Wasp, gasp.' (Incunabula 2023). He writes at kingsoftrain.com.


*Editor's note: These poems are excerpted from Barton Smock's latest collection of poetry: Wasp, gasp. To order you copies of Wasp, gasp - click here.





No comments:

Post a Comment